Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Kite Runner & A Thousand Splendid Suns

Hopefully by now you've realized I'm not the source for the most recent book reviews.  There are only so many hours in a day, and too many books in the library to keep up.  But if you find your summer reading list is running low, here are two books worth adding.

I just finished reading A Thousand Splendid Suns, and before that, The Kite Runner, both by Khaled Hosseini.  Being that I'm 8 years behind in reading The Kite Runner (not to mention that it then became a movie in 2007), and 4 years behind with A Thousand Splendid Suns, I'm going off the assumption that some of you may have already read the books.  What are your thoughts?  Which did you like more?  It seems everyone I talk to has a definite opinion about which they favored, but it's a 50/50 split between the two.  For me, it was The Kite Runner.  I'm not sure why, just seemed to pull me in until I had completely blocked out everything else in my life (sorry "To Do" list!).

If you haven't read them, get to the library!  At this point, the waiting lists shouldn't be too long.  They're well worth any wait you may have, or postponing your own "To Do" lists to read.  Be prepared for heart-breaking moments, sacrifices made selflessly and without hesitation, and for every last detail to find its way into the plot later on.  Hosseini is a master craftsman and can weave with the best of them.  For those who miss the nightly 6:30 world news, these two humanitarian tales will open your eyes and change your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment